FFSAC Logo

FFSAC Logo

Sunday, May 26, 2024

Free day with hosts and Farewell Party, May 26, 2024, Shaina S

Farewell Party

Free day with hosts and Farewell Party

Outbound to Iringa, May 26, 2024
By: Shaina S


Today we had a free day. I slept in and started off my morning with coffee and fresh milk that we bought straight from the dairy the night before where we played volleyball on a large dairy farm.


Volleyball (Mpira wa wavu)


I wore a kitenge while I drank my coffee. My host Rebecca prepared a delicious breakfast of chipati, beans, and fresh fruit. Rebecca shared her chipati recipe with me so that I can bring it home.


Breakfast in a kitenge



We headed to their church for a Lutheran service in English. The pastor is from India and the sermon’s main message was unity and faith. A message that we can all relate to regardless of religion or nationality.

Attending a Lutheran service in English

After church, Joel and Rebecka gave me Samba jerseys for me and my husband, Dustin. I changed into my football jersey and we were off to the shamba. That is Swahili for farm. Rebecca is an agriculture business person and convinced Joel to invest in keeping cows. They have four dairy cows now and plan to have 15-20 in the next 5 years. They will be able to secure a steady income from providing milk to the local dairy production facility. They work on the farm every weekend to ensure they achieve their goal.

Joel and Rebecka on their shamba


After visiting the shamba, we headed back to Iringa town for the farewell dinner. 

Tito K, President of FF Iringa


The farewell dinner was a great party, and we presented a fun game to Friendship Force - Iringa. We placed our bets for heads and tails and flipped coins. The winners won gifts from the Friendship Force- Sacramento. The game was a hit and everyone had a good laugh. However, it was sad because we had to say goodbye. I became so close to Rebecca, Joel, and Jayden that it was a very emotional goodbye. We hope and are planning to reunite again soon.


In Friendship and Peace


No comments: